8.10.07

I'm Thinking...

Q: Dear 'Food-Fanatic' 100 Hour Board,
Can you tell me where Arby's got their name from? We were driving in the car the other day and Mom mentioned something about R.B.s, like short for Roast Beef. Can you shed some light on this very important topic???
Sincerely,
Eating Beef 'n Cheddar In the Dark

A: Dear Roast Beef Aficionado,

I so desperately wanted to call Arby's up and find out the answer to your quandary. So I offer you a transcript.
Ring
Standard prompts
"In order to better serve you, your phonecall may be recorded." How does that person get a job at EVERY phone center in the US. It's like the 411 lady, "OK, I can help you with that."
Arby's Rep (AR): Thank you for calling Arby's, how may I help you?
100 HB: Yes. Thanks. I was calling regarding a question I have about Arby's.
AR: I can help you with that, sir. What is your question?
100 HB: Yes. My wife and I are having a debate regarding the name Arby's. I believe that Arby's stands for the founder of the restaurant chain. She thinks that it stands for Roast Beef. We have a Crispy Chicken Bacon & Swiss sandwich riding on this, so please help me out.
AR: Chuckle No problem sir, I can help you with that. Arby's is named for the company founders, Leroy and Forrest Raffel, the Raffel Brothers, also R.B.
100 HB: That is quite interesting - thanks so much. I rarely am right with my wife, this will help.
AR: Trying to hid the chuckle. Not a problem sir. Is there anything else I can help you with?
100 HB: Oh, yes, one more thing...what ever happened to the Oven Mitt. I miss him.
AR: Oven Mitt is helping out in our community service efforts. Working with Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.
100 HB: You mean there are lots of little oven mitts running around that need help?
AR: I can feel the smile on the phone. Is there anything else I can do for you sir?
100 HB: Nope that's good. You won me a Crispy Chicken Bacon & Swiss sandwich. I'll send you half if you'd like.
AR: No thank you sir, that will not be necessary.
100 HB: Well... thanks then. You've been most helpful.
AR: My pleasure. Please fill free to call again with any more questions. And you can look at our website, http://www.arbys.com/, at anytime for more information.
100 HB: Thank you.
AR: Have a nice day.
100 HB: You too.

I'm thinking Arby's now. Too bad that Rhode Island doesn't have any in the state. (Vermont either). : (

Regards,
Craving the RB

3 comments:

Adi on Tue Oct 09, 10:10:00 AM 2007 said...

How many licks does it take to reach the center of a tootsie pop? It may be an aged old question, but I mean the owl in the dumb commerical toys with you by biting it by the third time. Does is vary on saliva excretion or what? Perhaps the Rolling Stones offered the true answer with "40 Licks," but honestly how many?

Adi on Tue Oct 09, 10:17:00 PM 2007 said...

If one wanted to hire a hitman? I mean literally given our situation, how would you find one?

Bro. Brandon B. on Thu Oct 11, 05:07:00 PM 2007 said...

Nice site and concept... here is one that has been bugging me since I had a friend ask me this question and could not provide a good answer.

Often in television crime and law shows they flout the crime scene investigators ability to match individual recovered bullets to the guns that they have been fired from due to distinct markings that are left behind on the fired round from the rifling in the firearm. Furthermore, they claim that each and every firing pin (the part which strikes the primer, setting off the cartage) leaves a distinct mark on each spent casing. With how much reliability can crime scene investigators match guns to bullets and casings? I'm skeptical of this science due to the precise manufacturing standards that modern firearms seem to be subject to, and the many variables (such as powder and lead fouling in the barrels) which undoubtedly alter the effects a gun has on rounds (altho very slightly) each time a round is fired. Is this hype that "CSI", "Law and Order", and every other crime show on television in love with grounded in sound practice, or is it another hollywood-hyped fairytale?

Hope you are up for the challenge!

By the way, roast beef sounds great right now! :)

 

100 Hour Board Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template